Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped



What is a Bandicoot?  For a long time, I thought it was a made up species of animal.  But it turns out that they actually exist (see picture below).  Google defines a Bandicoot as "a mainly insectivorous marsupial native to Australia and New Guinea."  To me, they look like a cross between a squirrel and a rat.  But it is what it is.

Crash Bandicoot vs A real bandicoot

Crash Bandicoot Warped is the 3rd entry in the series of Crash Bandicoot games made by NaughtyDog.  This game is similar to the second game in the sense that your goal is to go through a set of levels and collect the crystals, which would open up a portal where you could fight the boss.  When you succeed, you were granted access to the next set of worlds, where you would do the same thing. 

The first world hub in Crash Bandicoot Warped

Unlike the second game, beating a set of levels would grant you a special ability.  These ranged from a Double Jump to carrying around a Laser Guided Bazooka.  These special abilities greatly enhanced your ability to finish levels, and finish them efficiently.  My personal favorite is the Bazooka.  Instead of fighting enemies face-to-face, you could just sit back and snipe them away.  Because the Bazooka had unlimited ammo, you didn't have to worry about being accurate.  Just fire away!

Crash holding a Bazooka.  It's as awesome as it sounds.

Perhaps my favorite part about the game was the music.  Crash Bandicoot Warped has one of the best soundtracks out of any game I have played.  As soon as you see the Title Screen pop up, you are greeted with the Crash Bandicoot theme song, which is my favorite out of any video game.  The beat is catchy and is easy to get stuck in your head, not that I minded.  In addition, the music of the levels really added to the experience while playing.  In fact, I have a majority of the songs downloaded onto my phone, so I can listen to them anytime I want.

Below is a YouTube Video of a cover someone made of the Crash Bandicoot Theme song.



Crash Bandicoot Warped is one of my favorite childhood games because it was just a fun game to play.  Yes, there were levels that were hard and frustrating, but when you finally beat them it makes you feel really good.  Add the introduction of special abilities, it adds a whole new dimension to the game where you can tackle levels in different ways that were impossible before.  And last but not least, the amazing soundtrack.  Whoever came up with the music for the game should win a Grammy award.  I really do think the music is that good.  I'm serious.

No comments:

Post a Comment