Monday, February 9, 2015

Mickey Mouse: Magic Wands

Mickey Mouse: Magic Wands.  The first game I owned.



The first of things holds a special memory.  The first day of college.  The first cell phone you had.  The first car you bought.  For me, the first video game I owned was special.  Prior to this, the only time I was able to play video games was if I went over to a friend's house.

While that was fun, it is totally different having your own video game.  A video game that is yours.  A video game that you can play whenever you want.  A video game that if you accidentally damage or lose, nobody would be mad at you except yourself.  One day, my dad came home with a Blue Gameboy Pocket and a copy of Micky Mouse: Magic Wands.  Finally, a lifelong dream was achieved!  I had my own video game!

GameBoy Pocket



The first time I turned it on and heard the magical "Ding!", a warm feeling filled my whole body.  The game was in black-in-white.  The story was simple.  Micky's friends are trapped in a Wicked Witch's Castle, and his job is to save his friends.  To do this, Micky has to search the level for crystals, some of which contain pieces of his friend.  If you complete all the pieces of the puzzle, then the friend is freed.  Below is a picture of a level in the game:



As you can see, Mickey has discovered a piece of the puzzle.  To make it harder, there are various enemies you encounter in the levels (In the above picture there is a Frog that is chasing Mickey).

In summary, Micky Mouse: Magic Wands is one of my favorite Childhood games because it was the first game I owned.  Was it the best game I have ever played?  No way.  Was it the easiest game?  Nope.  What about the most adventurous?  Not even close.  But it was the first game I owned, and I will always remember it for that.

*Funny Story: The first time I played the game, after around 30 minutes of playing, I had to go somewhere with my parents.  Because I didn't want to lose my progress in the game, I left my Gameboy on and placed it on top of the kitchen table before leaving my house.  I returned 3 hours later to find out that my Gameboy had turned off.  Apparently the battery had used up all its power.  [Later, I found out that each level has a code, and you can enter the code to skip to that specific level.]*






No comments:

Post a Comment