Thursday, July 19, 2012

Exclusive Interview #2: Interview with a vegetarian!

Today, I am here with my friend, Jen.  This interview was done over the computer.  Enjoy!

Introduction (tell us a little bit about yourself): 


               I'm a 22 year old native Texan who's transplanted herself to NYC to experience life outside of my small home town. 

Ok, now onto the Questions:

1. When did you first become a vegetarian?

         I became a vegetarian the summer going into 7th grade. I think I was about 12  or 13 years old. Looking back, I wonder how I didn't become ill. Although I tried my best, my diet was really unbalanced.


2. Why did you choose to become a vegetarian?

         The story of how I became a vegetarian is really strange. It happened so suddenly my parents thought I wouldn't last a day. 
One day my family and I were eating dinner as usual.My mother had prepared chicken wings for us. Back then I was a big meat eater, but as I took a bite and my teeth sunk in I was hit by the sudden idea of what I was actually doing. I was eating flesh! Scared and frankly grossed out, I swore off eating land animals.

3. We know that meat is a good source of protein. Where do you get your protein from?

       Now that I've been a vegetarian for nearly 10 years I find it really easy to get a healthy amount of protein. You'd be surprised how little protein is actually needed. For example an active female of my weight needs only about 70grams of protein. That means if I eat yogurt, tofu, a handful of nuts and have a glass of milk, I'll be able to satisfy my nutritional needs. Other foods that are really good sources for protein are animal products such as eggs and fish. Of course even vegans can get enough protein from things like beans, nuts, seeds and even vegetables! 
      The thing that people really need to be conscious of especially those who eat no animal products ie. vegans is getting enough B12 Deficiencies in that can cause irreversible damage to the brain and nervous system!

4. Do you like to cook?

      I love cooking!!

5. What is your "signature dish"?

      I don't want to seem haughty but I enjoy my cooking so much that I'd say I don't have a signature dish, but rather everything I make is good. 



6. How does your food habits contribute to your slim figure?

         I think being a vegetarian has really helped me stay slim even when I haven't gone to the gym in months. Though I can't  scientifically back this, I'd say it has much to do with the fact that I can't eat most fast food nor do I eat fatty meats. Also, though I do love sweets, I try to make a conscious effort not to over indulge in things.


No comments:

Post a Comment